Monday, January 01, 2024

Training People in Fitness

I see that you are taking a role leading your fitness classes?
Very inspiring for an “natural” introvert like me.  I have always preferred solitary exercise so that I can make ad hoc changes to my workout without it having an effect on anyone else.  

I understand the value of training others from my work experience over the years, it deepens my own understanding and skills.  I look at my current efforts to keep fit, and I wonder why certain things that I take for granted now, were never taught to me by adults when I was growing up,  things like deliberate practice, breaking a skill down into pieces learning the pieces and putting it together for better performance, setting goals and measuring results, figuring out how to do better.  I know many adults that try something, like a fitness workout and quit it because “it is just too hard,” “it is too difficult,” or I tried that for a few days (or weeks) and I didn’t see the results that people claim so I stopped.  Reflecting on these encounters, I recognize the value of playing sports, team sports, and learning a musical instrument when I was in school.  I recall workouts that the basketball or soccer coach had us do, and has a child I considered them boring and a waste of time.  Only now do I begin to see some of the real value that was being shown to me.

The skills I needed were demonstrated but never put into worlds.  Without the words I was slow to generalize ideas that could cross over from sports to music to academic studies.

Since my move to NH, I have paid more attention to other people and why they do the things they do, People I meet, people I recall, and occasionally fictional people.  I some people have an understanding of what it takes to maintain and keep a kind of fitness.  I was profoundly influenced by reading “Tarzan of the Apes” when I was a child, and stories my mother told me about the athletic skills of my great-grand father.  Other people either never participate in sports, or if they did, do not apply the ideas to their current lives.

 

No comments: