Monday, January 01, 2024

Post of 20121215. Winning Raffle at Waynes' Pub

20121215 Friday a week ago, I won a raffle! A nice tote bag full of class beers and great glasses and other items.  I have never won a raffle on my own before. But as the Maryland Lottery keeps telling us, "You have to play to win!"  I have never played, or rarely played a raffle before. 

How did this happen? I walked into my favorite bar when I got home from work, about 8 pm. Amanda Peake was still working that night so I was by myself. My second most favorite bartender (after Shayna Clevenger), Alice Kistner, asked me if I wanted to buy a raffle ticket for the SPCA? (That was where all the young people crowding my favorite home away from home were from.) I said OK, I'll by one for a couple of dollars.  Alice said "You can have three for $5!"  Since she is blonde, friendly, and one of my favorite bartenders, I said OK, and handed her a five.

I forgot about the raffle and focused on the famous Mahaffey's Pub beer list.   After a while Dennis came you to me and said, "Hey Fred, is your last name Voight?" I said yeah that's close enough. Dennis said "You won the raffle!" H"e set a big, big, tote bag full of stuff and a box of a dozen glasses on the counter in front of me.  I looked up. A bunch of young people that I didn't know where cheering.  I young lady came up and shook my hand "Thank-you for supporting the SPCA!"  A asked her her name, she told me and I said thanks [her name].  They a young man stepped you and repeated the ceremony. I didn't ask him his name. Just said "I'm always glad to help."  

I didn't feel like I deserved all the stuff I won. I felt guilty. I bought the tickets because I like Alice, not because I have anything for the SPCA.  But that can be our secret.  It was a wonderful gift; I go wandering off into the dark, hand out five dollars and come home with a tote bag full of beer! 

Life doesn't get much better than that!

20121215

No comments: