Monday, January 01, 2024

Journal Writing, second try

 Thanks for the journal writing posted by James Clear.  I like his footnotes, but I haven’t taken the time to read all of them.  Thanks.


I still have not figured out the web page format for journalling.  I just found this, I’ll try it out but use my email a a personal backup for my journal entries that are not hand written on paper.


(I inserted a comment in your previous email of Nov 4th.)

Text format history in IT world:
I didn’t print out hard copies all the time.  What I did was save my files in “text” format, a feature that all word processing programs had, but in some of the programs, like Word Perfect, it was hard to find text as an export choice.  

The benefit of text was that text is readable by anything that we have used since the 90’s (maybe earlier, I took some computer programming classes at Old Dominion College night school courses in 1987, and it usually worked there for the large computer, main frame, that each student had an account with.  These were the days before “expensive” personal computers, PCs, could be made available to a individual students, unless you could get through the line of waiting students at the “workshop".) 

Text is a translation of computer language in order to make it readable by humans.  How many people do you know that can use the classic 1,0 format for their communications?

For years, the 70’s and 80’s,  I did not want to get involved with computer language, tape with holes punched in it.  Only when the text output/input computer main frames began to show up on Navy ships was I inspired to take the IT courses at the local college in Norfolk Virginia.

The computer programming course that I took in college consisted of taking the punched tape of a machine that looked like a keyboard communications device, run the punched tape through the mainstream reader, come back the next day to get the results from the main frame output.  If there were any errors in the punched tape, need to fix them and run the 24 hour reading again.  What a pain in the ass that was.

Journal writing:

I still have not figured out the best media/format to use for my journals.
I wish I had known that you kept and wrote journals.  I gave away all my journal writing books this past year.  I had several good books about journaling, how to write journals and different practical needs for journals. Most of these needs had to do with personal growth and psychological/emotional welfare.  I never read any of these books thoroughly, just the table of contents and interesting chapters.

I kept one journal book, that was recommended to me by one of Lorraine Fertch's friends who I met at medical seminar one weekend.  The book is Writing for Your Life: A Guide and Comanpanion To The Inner Worlds.
( Ha, Ha, I just learned how to underline on my personal computer.  I have been so sloppy at learning the features of my personal products.  I know nothing compared to what I knew about computers, etc., when I worked in IT guiding groups of young folks to do IT support.)

The book is by Deena Metzger.  I only read the first 21 pages, I enjoyed them and marked in the margins what I thought was valuable.

I just put this book on my daily morning reading list.  I can at least finish reading the first chapter. 

I bought myself a 3 ring binder earlier in the week and filled it with 100 pages of lined white paper. The intention is to have a convenient paper journal, where pages can be removed or added as necessary .

Your discussion led me to 

No comments: